Opting in or out of Zoom Phone SMS
The Opt-In/Out feature within Zoom Phone SMS provides administrators with the ability to ensure users comply with the policies of their compliance team when engaging with customers via SMS. This feature is exclusive to new and approved campaigns. Pending campaigns require approval before gaining access. In this article, you'll discover various options available for your users. These campaign-level settings allow you to effortlessly incorporate numbers into the campaign, automatically applying the established rules.
- If you are building a new campaign, the feature will be part of the Create SMS Campaign flow
- If you already have an approved campaign, click on your campaign to see the new options to edit and update
This article covers:
Prerequisites for using the Opt-In/Out functionality in Zoom Phone SMS
How to apply SMS Opt In/Out to outbound messages to unknown phone numbers
You can control the behavior of when your users can send an outbound message to unknown phone numbers.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Advanced, then click SMS Campaign.
- Click on the name of your approved SMS campaign, to update your existing campaign, or click Create SMS Campaign to create a new campaign.
- Under Opt-In to SMS Messaging, do the following:
- Under Outbound messages to unknown numbers, select one of the following settings:
- Allow my users to send any message: When sending a message to a phone number for the first time, a popup will appear for the sender. This notification serves to inform the sender that we are unsure if this number has opted in. Kindly ensure that you have obtained permission to send a message to this individual before proceeding.
- Require my users to send the Opt-In message and wait for the Opt-In response: Before sending a custom message, your sender must initiate the Opt-In message and wait for the recipient to respond with the designated Opt-In word. Only after receiving this confirmation can the sender proceed with sending a personalized message.
- Prevent my users from sending any outbound message: Sending a message will be restricted to your sender until the mobile user receiver initiates the conversation by sending a message first.
- Under Inbound messages to unknown numbers, select one of the following settings:
Note: This setting determines what users in your account can do if a new number has initiated a conversation.
- Allow my users to send any message: The user in your account doesn’t need to request the initiating user to opt in.
- Automatically send a message that asks them to Opt-In and wait for the Opt-In response: The user in your account will need to send your Opt-in message first and wait for a response from the user that initiated the message. This will enforce a double attestation for the initiator to receive SMS.
- Under Opt-In Message, click Edit to personalize your opt-in message to better align with your business by customizing it according to your Brand.
- The Opt-In message is the message automatically sent when you have selected to have an opt-in message be sent.
- You can also customize the Start word, however, your Brand will be set to the Brand you set up on the account and can’t be changed.
- Response to Opt-In: This response cannot be changed and will be sent automatically when the mobile number you sent a message to has opted into receiving your messages.
Note: To change your response, you can edit your opt-in message as indicated above.
Example: "ZOOM: You are now opted-in. For help, reply HELP. To opt out, reply STOP"
- Response to Opt-Out: This message cannot be changed and will be sent automatically when the mobile number you sent a message to has opted out of receiving your messages.
Example: "ZOOM: You are now opted-out and will receive no further messages".
- Response to Help: Click Edit to personalize your Response to Help message received by the mobile user.
Note: You can decide if your help is a website, an email address, or a phone number to call.
- Under Message Attachment, select one of the following:
Note: This is the message that will be attached to the end of your message depending on your above selection.
- Only on first custom outbound message if the Opt-In Message was never shown: This decides how often the Opt-out message is sent if not using any of the of the enforced options above.
- None: No opt-out message sent.
- Assignment: Once the Campaign is approved, assign your phone numbers to the campaign and the Opt in/out settings will be applied to those numbers.
How to access the SMS Opt-In/Out logs
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation menu, click Phone System Management, then click Logs.
- Click the SMS tab.
- Under the Opt-In/Out Verification column, identify the following status:
- Active: The mobile number has opted in and can receive messages from the Zoom Phone number.
- Pending: The opt-in message has been sent but no response has been received yet, your user will be unable to send messages from the Zoom Phone number until they respond to the opt-in message.
- Refused: The mobile user has replied with STOP to that phone number, preventing your user from sending further messages to that number from the Zoom Phone number.