Enabling SMS on US and Canada Toll Free Numbers
Zoom users in the United States and Canada can use Toll-Free numbers to accommodate a large influx of voice calls on both Zoom Phone and Zoom Contact Center. However, Zoom is launching a new feature for these numbers, by supporting SMS and MMS messaging. Please note that this messaging service will be charged on a per-message basis. To activate SMS functionality on your US and Canada Toll-free numbers, please refer to the steps in this article.
This article covers:
Prerequisites for enabling SMS on US and Canada Toll-free numbers
- Pro, Business, or Enterprise account
- Account owner or admin privileges
- Zoom Phone Toll-free licenses in the account
How to enable SMS/MMS on your US and Canada Toll-free numbers
To enable SMS/MMS you need to complete the toll-free verification process for the users that will use this feature. Beware this process can take up to four (4) weeks to complete.
- Download the verification form.
- Complete the form and submit a request to the Zoom Phone Porting team by doing the following:
- Under Please select your request type, select Zoom Phone Number Porting.
A Required information page will display.
Note: Make sure you provide all required information noted by a star *.
- Enter your email address, and select your product.
- Under Type of Issue, select SMS Concern.
- In the Description, please mention, Submission for Toll-Free SMS Verification.
- Under Attachments (optional), click Add file or drop files here to add the Toll-Free Verification form you filled out.
- Click Submit.
- The Zoom porting team will update you via the ticket for any information that might be needed as well as a timeline for when the numbers will be enabled for SMS.
- Once your phone numbers have been approved by Zoom’s third-party carrier, a ticket response will be sent to you with an update that your toll-free numbers are SMS enabled.
Toll-free SMS/MMS frequently asked questions
Can I use Toll-Free SMS without verification?
No. Zoom requires customers to undergo the verification process if they wish to use messaging capabilities on their Toll-Free numbers.
How long does the verification process take?
The verification process takes 4-6 weeks on average. This process is managed by the ZipWhip organization and is outside of Zoom’s control
Do I need to wait for the verification process to complete before I can start sending SMS/ MMS using my US/CA Toll-Free numbers?
No. Once the verification form is submitted, if everything is in order, our underlying carriers will mark the Toll-Free number as pending verification. Once marked as pending verification, you will be able to start sending SMS although some messaging thresholds will apply. This status will be displayed on the web admin portal on Phone System Management > Phone Numbers page. The thresholds for “pending verification” status are as follows:
- Daily limit: 2,000
- Weekly limit: 6,000
- Monthly limit: 10,000
Is there a charge for using SMS and MMS from Toll-Free numbers?
Yes, there is a charge per message for SMS and MMS sent from a Toll-Free number.
How will I know when the number has completed verification?
The support ticket will be updated and our team will communicate the status to you prior to closing the ticket.
Is messaging to international destinations supported?
No. Messaging to international destinations using US/CA Toll-Free numbers will not be supported
Is Group messaging supported?
Group messaging (SMS or MMS) will not be supported from US/CA Toll-Free numbers
What are some best practices to ensure successful verification form submission?
The verification form submission allows carriers and Zipwhip to understand exactly how you are using the Toll-Free numbers for messaging. Please note that only one number will be accepted per form. The following pointers will help ensure that the form is submitted correctly and accepted for verification:
- Provide accurate business name, registered address, and contact information.
- Provide a company URL. This URL must match the business name. If you are doing business under another name, include that in the business name field to ensure the company URL matches. Do not use URL shorteners.
- Clearly describe the use case for Toll-Free messaging by including the following details at a minimum :
- What kind of messages will be sent?
Note: Provide details on the kind of content you will send.
- Who will be receiving the messages?
- How many messages will you be sending per day?
- Provide detailed step-by-step screenshots of how your customers will be opting in to receive messages.
Note: This is an extremely important piece of information and the form will be rejected if this is not provided.
- Include at least 3 examples of sample messages in the Sample Messages section.
Note: This is also an extremely important step. The form will be rejected if this information is not provided
- In the Call to Action section, include any URLs that are going to be sent as a part of the message as well as any phone numbers that are being sent as a part of the message. Do not use a URL shortener here but instead provide the full link.