With the LTI Attendance Report feature for D2L, instructors can sync the Zoom Meeting Attendance Report with their D2L Gradebook. This allows instructors to quickly generate attendance grades based on the meeting attendance report.
This article covers:
Prerequisites for syncing attendance report with Gradebook
- Education, Business, or Enterprise Plan
- Account owner or admin privileges
- LTI Pro 1.3 configured with D2L
Important considerations before using this feature
This feature only supports logged-in Zoom Users or users that have joined the meeting via external authentication. These users must be using the same email address that they are using on D2L since LTI Pro uses the email address to identify the student on D2L so they can be appropriately mapped to the grading tool.
In addition, there are other important considerations for using the feature:
- This feature does not support the ‘One meeting, multiple courses’ Import/disassociate meeting features. Zoom plans to support this in the future.
- This feature does not support meetings that utilize personal meeting IDs.
- This feature does not support Join Before Host.
- This feature only supports meetings created by instructors.
- The report will not be generated if the host is the only participant in the meeting.
- If the meeting duration is less than 5 minutes, LTI Pro will not generate a report.
- This feature currently doesn’t support the Accessed Domain feature in the LTI configuration. This means if instructors set up the Attendance Report setting in domain A, they will not see the setting in domain B (Assuming the LTI Admin turns on Accessed Domain with domain A and domain B for the LMS in the LTI configuration).
- This feature only includes meetings that are running within the expected time range they were scheduled for. If the meeting starts too early or too late, there will not be a generated attendance report. Due to this, the meeting must be started within the expected time frame for when it was scheduled (no more than 10 minutes before the scheduled start time, and no more than 10 minutes after the scheduled end time).
- It is recommended to not change the scheduled start time of the meeting after the report has been generated, as this can impact the data being synced to the Gradebook.
How to set up the tool in D2L
Before configuring the LTI service to sync the attendance report with the D2L Gradebook, the following services need to be enabled in D2L:
- As an admin, log in to D2L.
- Clean on the Settings button .
- Click Manage Extensibility.
- Click on the LTI tool.
- Under Extensions, ensure the following are services enabled:
- Assignment and Grade Services
Names and Role Provisioning Services
Note: Leave Deep Linking disabled.
- At the bottom of the LTI tool, click on View Deployment.
- View the current deployment and ensure that the services enabled in the previous steps are enabled for the deployment.
How to configure the Attendance Report feature in a course
This feature needs to be set up for each course, which means if instructors want to sync the attendance reports with grade books from all of their classes, they have to configure it for each course individually. Once instructors launch the LTI Pro 1.3 tool, instructors should see the Attendance Report setting in the dropdown option on the LTI tool home page.
Configuring the Attendance Report
Once the setting is enabled, instructors will be able to see the configuration for the tool. The following fields can be filled out by the instructor:
Total points: The maximum amount of points a student can get for their attendance. This field is required.
Late deduction: The amount of percentage points deducted from the attendance score after a specific amount of minutes have passed after the start of the class.
Percentage of Time Spent in Class: Instructors can set multiple ranges for how many points a student will receive, based on the percentage of time they were in attendance for the class.
Note: The field values are initially pre-populated with example values, a value must be entered in each field or the page will generate an error when trying to save the configuration.
Attendance Reporting configuration example
Based on the example configuration above:
- If Student A stayed for 65% of the class and was not late to the class, Student A would receive 75% of the total points possible, which would be 75 points on the attendance report.
- If Student B stayed for 90% of the class but was late to the class, Student B would receive 90% of the total points possible, which would be 90 points on the attendance report.
- If Student C stayed for 30% of the class and was late to the class, Student C would receive 0% of the total points possible, which would be 0 points on the attendance report.
- If Student D doesn’t show up for the class at all, Student D would receive 0% of the total points possible, which would be 0 points for the attendance report.
How to review the Attendance Gradebook report
To view the Attendance Gradebook report as an instructor:
- Log into D2L as an instructor and launch the LTI Pro tool.
- Click the Previous Meeting tab.
Note: If your meeting is not displayed, you will need to wait till the meeting populates.
- Next to the desired meeting, click Report and then click the Attendance Grade Report tab.
The Attendance Report will be displayed including the following fields:
Name: Name of the student.
Email: Email address of the student that is listed in D2L.
Join Time: The time the student joined the meeting.
Leave Time: The time when the student left the meeting.
Duration (Minutes): The amount of time, in minutes, the student joined the meeting.
Suggested Grade: The suggested grade is based on the settings set when configuring the Attendance Report for the course.
Final Grade: By default, this is the same value as the Suggested Grade, but can be modified at the instructor's discretion.
- Once the grading is complete, click Submit Grade.
- When prompted with a confirmation, click Submit Grade to save the attendance scores to the Gradebook.
Note: If the Attendance Report has been modified after the report has been generated but not before it has been submitted, it will get regenerated based on the new report configuration.
Once the attendance grades have been submitted, the grades will be available in the D2L Gradebook. The Attendance Report will then be set to a read-only state within the LTI Pro tool and will be available for 180 days.
How to view the score in D2L
Viewing scores as an instructor
If the instructor needs to review the attendance report within the Gradebook, the report will be listed as an assignment, with the naming convention AttendanceReport-YYYY-MM-DD, where the date format is the scheduled start time of the meeting. For example, if the start time for the meeting was December 3, 2022, the report will be named AttendanceReport-2022-12-03. Instructors can modify the scores here after the grade has been submitted from the LTI Pro tool. To access the assignment:
- Log into D2L as an instructor.
- Open the desired course.
- Navigate to Grades.
- Find the attendance reports.
- Click the student's name.
The student's grade will be displayed, as well as their total attendance time in minutes next to the Total Participant time.
Viewing scores as a student
- Log into D2L as a student.
- Open the desired course.
- Navigate to Grades.
- Click on the assignment AttendanceReport-YYYY-MM-DD.
The student will see their attendance score.