Managing Zoom Phone SMS etiquette tool
Admins can use the SMS Etiquette Tool to create policies that identify keywords and text patterns to prevent users from inadvertently sharing unwanted SMS. When a user sends a message that triggers a policy, the message will be blocked or a warning prompt will be displayed for the user to confirm that they want to send the SMS, depending on what the admin set.
This article covers:
Prerequisites for changing soft deletion settings
- Pro, Business, or Education account
- Account owner or admin privileges
- Zoom Phone license
How to enable or disable SMS Etiquette Tool
Access the SMS Etiquette Tool at one of the available levels.
- Click the toggle to enable or disable it.
- (Optional) If enabled, to prevent all users in the account from changing this setting, click the lock icon , and then click Lock to confirm the setting.
How to create SMS Etiquette policies
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin.
- Access the SMS Etiquette Tool setting at the account level.
- Click Create SMS Etiquette Policy.
- Enter the following information. Click Next to move to the next screen.
Name Your Policy
Policy Name: Enter a display name to identify the policy.
Description (Optional): Enter a description for the policy.
Define Content to Detect
Select a Rule Type: Choose if you want to detect content using Keywords (for example, a specific word) or Regular Expression (a unique sequence of characters that identifies items like account numbers).
Add Keywords: If you selected Keywords, enter your keywords separated by commas, then click Save.
Note: Keywords are not case-sensitive
Add Regular Expression: If you selected Regular Expression, enter the regular expression, then click Save.
Note: Back references and zero-width assertions are not supported.
Actions Taken When Policy is Triggered
When this policy is triggered: Specify the action when something in the SMS message matches the policy.
Ask user to confirm sending of message: When a user tries to send a message that triggers the policy, Zoom will display a prompt asking them to confirm if they want to send the message.
Block the message: When a user tries to send a message that triggers the policy, Zoom will display a prompt stating the message can’t be sent because of SMS Etiquette policies.
- Click Review.
- Click Save.
- (Optional) Repeat steps 3 to 6 to create more policies.
Note: You can drag and drop policies to visually organize them in the web portal, however, this doesn’t change how policies are prioritized.
How to manage SMS Etiquette policies
After creating SMS Etiquette policies, you can choose to activate or deactivate them at the account and group levels. You can also delete or lock specific policies at the account level.
- Access the SMS Etiquette Tool setting at the account and/or group levels.
- Hover over a policy to access these options:
Activate/Deactivate: Activate or deactivate the policy.
Deactivated policies will appear in the web portal but cannot be triggered.
- The following options are only available at the account level:
- Lock or unlock icon: Lock the policy to make it mandatory at the group level or unlock the policy to make it optional a the group level.
After locking the setting, admins will not be able to deactivate it at the group level.
- Trash icon : Delete the policy.