Pairing a Zoom Room with the desktop client
With heightened avoidance of shared touch surfaces as people return to offices, as well as Zoom Room controllers not always being in the most convenient location, the Zoom desktop client can pair with your Zoom Room to allow you to start a meeting on the Zoom Room from the desktop client.
You can also pair the Zoom mobile app with a nearby Zoom Room, to start or join meetings on the Zoom Room as well as control the Zoom Room directly from your mobile device.
This article covers:
Prerequisites for pairing a Zoom Room with the Zoom desktop client
- Account owner or admin privileges to edit account settings
- Zoom mobile app
- Windows version 5.7.0 or higher
- macOS version 5.7.0 or higher
- Zoom Rooms
- Windows version 5.6.7 or higher
- macOS version 5.6.7 or higher
How to enable pairing on the account
To enable pairing with a Zoom Room on the desktop client for all users in the account:
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin with the privilege to edit account settings.
- In the navigation menu, click Account Management then Account Settings.
- Click the General tab.
- Under Other, click the Show “Pair with Room” feature on Zoom client toggle to enable it.
- If a verification dialog appears, click Enable to verify the change.
How to enable pairing on the Zoom desktop client
- Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
- Click your profile picture, then click Settings.
- On the General tab, select the check box next to Show “Pair with Room” feature on home screen navigation bar.
Note: If the option is grayed out, it has been disabled by account admins.
How to pair with the Zoom Room
- Open the Zoom desktop client and sign in to your account.
- In the top-right corner next to your profile picture, locate and click the Zoom Room pairing button .
The desktop client will attempt to pair with nearby Zoom Rooms or available Personal Zoom Rooms. A successful pairing will provide a notification, informing you of which Zoom Room the client is now paired with.
If automatic pairing fails or you wish to pair with a different nearby Zoom Room, you can manually pair.
- Click the Zoom Room pairing button again, then click another detected Zoom Room or click Pair with Another Room Manually.
- Enter the Sharing Key that is displayed on the Zoom Room display, and click Pair.
A successful pairing will provide a notification, informing you of which Zoom Room the client is now paired with.
How to start or join meetings from the Zoom Room
Now that the Zoom desktop client is paired with a nearby Zoom Room, you can start or join meetings from the Zoom Room.
- Start or join a scheduled meeting. You will be prompted to choose Join from Room or Join from My Computer.
- Select Join from Room to have the paired Zoom Room join the meeting.
Your desktop client will also remain connected to the meeting, but will have video and audio off.
How to unpair from the Zoom Room
In the Zoom desktop client, click the Zoom Room pairing icon in the top-right corner, then click Unpair at any point to disconnect your desktop client from the Zoom Room. The Zoom Room will remain connected to the meeting until the meeting ends or someone taps Leave on the Zoom Room controller tablet.