The Outgoing Webhook app allows you to send information through Zoom’s Team Chat and receive notifications at your specified endpoints.
This article covers:
Prerequisites for using the Outgoing Webhook app
- Familiarity with sending HTTP POST requests with a token and endpoint
- Pre-approval of the Outgoing Webhook app in the Zoom App Marketplace
Note: If the app is not pre-approved, please contact your Zoom admin.
How to install Outgoing Webhook from the Zoom App Marketplace
- Sign in to the Zoom App Marketplace with your Zoom account.
- Search for and select Outgoing Webhook.
- Click Add.
- Confirm the permissions the app requires, then click Authorize.
Once complete, you will receive a Zoom Chat notification from the chat app.
Note: If your admin has installed the Outgoing Webhook chat app, it will automatically be installed for you in the Zoom desktop client.
How to use the Outgoing Webhook app
Configure the Outgoing Webhook app
- Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
- Click the Team Chat tab.
- On the left panel under Apps, find the Outgoing Webhook app.
You can also access your desired chat channel.
- Type connect and send. If you navigated to a chat channel other than the Outgoing channel, type /trigger connect.
The chat app will reply with a connection success message and provide a link to configure the webhook.
- Click the link.
A webpage will open where you can configure various settings:
- Channel Name: This will be the channel that you have initialized the “connect” command.
- Trigger Word(s): Enter which commands you would like to use to receive at your endpoints. For example: “trigger do create ticket” where “create ticket” is sent to you as “trigger_word” in the payload.
- URL(s): Enter your endpoints (one per line) to receive trigger word commands.
- Token: This token will be sent in the payload from Zoom to your endpoint. You can use this to verify that the request came from your Zoom chat.
- Callback URL: This will be used to respond to triggers back to the Zoom chat channel. You will need to use this along with the Token
- Click Save.
Send customized messages to Zoom Chat
In response to a trigger, your system can send a formatted message back to the user through Zoom chat. Chat app message types include message, actions, fields, select, attachments, and section.
In addition to choosing your message type, your message can be customized further by specifying styles and functionality. For more information, please see the Marketplace Customizing Messages article.
List all available commands
Type help in the 1:1 Outgoing Webhook chat channel or /trigger help in your desired Zoom Chat channel to receive a list of available commands.
Type connect in the 1:1 Outgoing Webhook chat channel or /trigger connect in your desired Zoom Chat channel to generate a new connection. Click the link to create the configuration.
Type configure [all] in the 1:1 Outgoing Webhook chat channel or /trigger configure [all] in your desired Zoom Chat channel to receive a list of your configurations with a link to edit each one.
Type do + [your configured trigger words] + [Shift+Enter] + [Your desired text] in the 1:1 Outgoing Webhook chat channel or /trigger do + [your configured trigger words] + [Shift+Enter] + [Your desired text] in your desired Zoom Chat channel to send a message and have the payload be sent to your configured URLs. The chat app will send data.
Type disconnect in the 1:1 Outgoing Webhook chat channel or /trigger disconnect in your desired Zoom Chat channel to remove the subscription for the current chat channel. Click OK to confirm.
Disconnect all subscriptions
Type disconnect all in the 1:1 Outgoing Webhook chat channel or /trigger disconnect all in your desired Zoom Chat channel to remove the subscription for the current chat channel. Click OK to confirm.
How to uninstall the Outgoing Webhook chat app
- Sign in to your Zoom account and navigate to the Zoom Marketplace.
- Search for Outgoing Webhook and click the app or navigate to your installed apps via Manage, then click Added Apps.
- Click Remove next to Outgoing Webhook.
- Confirm the dialogue and click Remove.
For additional help, please submit a request to Zoom support.