Changing call recording settings
Admins can enable or disable the following policy settings for ad hoc or automatic call recording.
Ad hoc recording: Allow phone users to record calls using in-call controls. If disabled, users can still access existing call recordings.
Auto recording: Zoom Phone calls are automatically recorded. You can customize an audio prompt to notify parties that the call will be recorded.
Allow member Ad Hoc Call Recording for Queue Calls: Allow call queue members to record calls using in-call controls.
- This policy setting takes precedence over the permissions individual members.
- This policy setting applies to inbound and outbound calls to the call queue.
All call recordings will be saved to the cloud. Admins can access all call recordings using the call log. Users can access their own ad hoc or automatic call recordings using call history.
This article covers:
Prerequisites for changing ad hoc or automatic call recording settings
- Pro, Business, or Education account
- Account owner or admin privileges
- Zoom Phone license
How to enable or disable ad hoc or automatic call recording
- If you have multiple sites enabled, you can change these settings at the site level. If you have multiple sites disabled, you can change these settings at the account level.
- You can also enable automatic call recording for call queues.
Access policy settings at the account, site, call queue, or phone user level.
- Click the Automatic Call Recording or Ad Hoc Call Recording toggles to enable or disable it for the associated account, site, phone user, or common area phone.
- Follow the below section to change the recording settings.
How to enable or disable ad hoc call recording for call queues
Access policy settings at the call queue level.
- Click the Allow member Ad Hoc Call Recording for Queue Calls toggle to enable or disable it for the associated call queue.
Ad hoc or automatic call recording settings
After enabling Automatic Call Recording or Ad Hoc Call Recording, you can customize these settings:
Access Member List: Control who has access to call recordings.
Enable recording for calls:
- Specify to record inbound calls, outbound calls, or both.
- Specify to record internal calls, external calls, or both.
- Calls are classified based on how they are dialed. For example, if a user calls someone within the account and that call is forwarded to an external user, that call is still considered an internal call.
- This setting is only available if enabling Automatic Call Recording for phone users, common area phones, or call queues
Allow call recording transcription: Allow Zoom to transcribe the call recording. You can view transcription when playing back recordings. Phone users can view transcriptions in the desktop client or mobile app. Phone users can only view transcriptions for automatic recordings if they have access to automatic recordings.
Play a prompt to call participants when the recording has started: Play a disclaimer prompt warning call participants that the call will be recorded. Select the default prompt, or click Audio Library to select, record, or upload custom audio. You can only customize the prompt for automatic call recordings. Ad-hoc recordings use a standard prompt.
Note: The initial prompt is played when the call recording starts. If a call participant joins the call after this prompt is played, they will not hear the prompt. For example, if you add a person to the call, or another phone user monitors the call after the prompt has played, they will not hear the prompt.
Press 1 to provide consent to be recorded: Play a prompt after the initial prompt that requires callers press 1 to explicitly provide consent to be recorded. This prompt will play 2 times. If the caller doesn't press 1 after the second prompt, they are advised that by continuing to stay on the call, they are providing their consent to be recorded. The associated call logs will indicate that consent was passive instead of active.
Note: This setting is only available at the account level (multiple sites disabled) or site level (multiple sites enabled).
- Allow extensions to stop and resume automatic call recording: Allow phone users or extensions to use in-call controls to pause and resume the automatic call recording.
- Disconnect call if there's an issue with automatic call recording and it cannot reconnect after 3 seconds. This will not include emergency calls: Terminate an automatic call recording in the event of a system failure lasting more than 5 seconds.
Note: This setting is only available for automatic call recordings. You can notify a list of users for such events.
Play a recording beep tone: Beep recorded users that they are subject to an automatic or ad-hoc call recording. This tone is different from the recording in progress notification and will only be heard by the recorded user. Select one of the following:
Note: This setting is only available if enabling ad hoc or automatic call recording for phone users; or automatic recording for call queues. You can also change this policy setting at the group or account level, but it will only apply to phone users and call queues.
Play to all participants in the call: Beep all participants they are being recorded.
Play only to the recording user: Beep the recorded participant only.
Beep Time Interval: Configure the beep time interval for every 5 to 30 seconds.
Volume: Increase or decrease the volume of the tone beep.